Diarrhea is often the reaction of our body to changes and any food. Diarrhea occurs when you change your place of stay or while traveling. What to do so that vacation memories are not overshadowed by constant visits to the toilet? Use caution and common sense. How to get rid of diarrhea?
Diarrhea – a typical holiday discomfort is favored by eating unwashed fruits and vegetables, undercooked meats, and thawed ice cream. Diarrhea is a violent reaction of the body to poisoning with toxic substances. The reason is e.g. bacteria. Irritated intestines begin to contract more vigorously, and food moves so quickly that the body is unable to absorb the water it contains. The result is diarrhea – frequent (over 3 times a day) passing of loose and even liquid stools.
What causes diarrhea?
The most common cause of summer diarrhea is bacterial infection (E. coli, Campylobacter, Shigella, Salmonella, Aeromonas, Plesiomonas). Microbes enter the body with contaminated food or fluid. So just be careful to avoid diarrhea. What does it mean?
- Wash your hands thoroughly before each contact with food.
- Wash vegetables and fruits as well as kitchen utensils carefully.
- Do not allow ready-to-eat food to come into contact with raw products, e.g. meat or eggs.
- Store food in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
- Check the best before dates, and follow the storage instructions for open products.
- Protect food from insects.
- Do not drink unboiled water.
- In summer, do not eat foods containing raw eggs, fish or meat.
- Do not pick mushrooms and forest fruit if you are not completely sure that they are edible.
- Remember that mushrooms should be thoroughly washed, the same applies to forest berries or wild strawberries – resist the temptation to eat straight from the bush!
- Buy meat and fish only in stores, not at the market, give up ice cream that does not look well frozen.
- If you eat out, dine in restaurants, not in a booth on the street.
- If the taste, smell or appearance of the dish is questionable, do not eat it.
Treatment of diarrhea has one main goal. Do not allow your body to become dehydrated. Nor can water and electrolyte disturbances be disturbed. Therefore, drink plenty of water or reach for electrolyte solution. If vomiting also occurs, you need to take chilled fluids in regular but small amounts. And if diarrhea is accompanied by spasmodic abdominal pain, such treatment must be supplemented with a painkiller or relaxant.
However, when diarrhea is the result of salmonella infection, as part of the treatment should be stool culture and take antibiotics and preparations whose task is to replenish lost fluids, as well as probiotics that have friendly bacteria in them. It is also good to have medicinal coal in your medicine cabinet that binds toxins and putrefactive substances in the digestive tract. Smecta is also a proven remedy for problems, because it covers the intestinal mucosa, soothes diarrhea.
Home remedies for diarrhea
There are a number of home remedies for fighting diarrhea. Most of them already knew our great-grandmothers and so this knowledge passed from generation to generation. it is recommended, for example, to make infusions of herbs such as chamomile, peppermint, wormwood, coriander, primrose and field clover. However, be careful and consult your physician about the use of certain herbs, because improper preparation may be unsafe.